Saturday 30 July 2016

The Scottish Trip


It amuses me to start my holiday blog with the title of a Max Boyce song which describes a very different journey from the one we have planned for this year. But our holiday this year is indeed a Scottish Trip, and I hope dear reader you will join us on this trip over the next three weeks.

The route once we get to Scotland looks something like this:

Outline Route for the Scottish Trip

though in fact the overlap in the centre is less than it looks due to the actual details an outline map cannot show in detail. I'll share detailed routes as the days progress. 

This is the sixth holiday where I have blogged about my journey and I always worth explaining that I often use the blog more for my own memory of these trips than for the audience, but it is nice to have you on the journey for company and I hope you will enjoy the trip.

I began the process of keeping a holiday blog on a South East Asian Cruise in 2006. I have since done the same on a train tour of Southern Europe in 2012 and for North American touring holidays in 2011, 2013 and last year.

Those who have followed the blogs before will know that food plays a big part in these journeys, this year this will be even more evident than in the past as we visit a number of Michelin starred establishments, as well as other lovely places which don't have a star yet.

I hope you will enjoy the journey and the food, feel free to comment on any aspect of the trip in the comments section below.

10 comments:

  1. I'm packed, when are we leaving

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Early Tuesday Dave, I see you have the Kayek frame on the top of the car ready :-)

      Delete
  2. Ah that time of year already :-) I really must 'do' Scotland one day! Spent a week near Berwich upon Tweed I think a few years ago. I will particularly look forward to your photos. Have a safe journey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, will be nice to have you following us again :-)

      Delete
  3. If you have time as you motor towards Inverness, stop in to the Culodden battlefield site. The visitor centre is excellent and provides a great learning experience on the much misunderstood events: not so much a Scottish rebellion, but more of a bloody civil war. http://www.nts.org.uk/Culloden/Home/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin,

      we were thinking of following the Bonnie Prince 'Over the Sea to Skye' so it makes sense to visit the battlefield too. I'd pencilled it in, but I can see from your link that it is a very short detour from the direct route on that day. We will make sure we get there.

      Delete
    2. Good idea. And if you have time when you arrive at Fort William, take a short detour north to Glenfinnan - a very magical spot, where the Prince landed in 1745 and started the whole Jacobite rising. That way you will cover the beginning and the end of the whole sorry adventure.
      In this picture you can see the loch where Charles' ship moored (left), as well as the heritage railway line used in Harry Potter (the viaduct to the right of the picture) https://www.flickr.com/photos/robin_croft/25533321665/

      Delete
    3. Thanks Robin, that looks lovely. Gwyn Smith and a former CELT colleague have both suggested I see the viaduct, so I suspect I will re-route that day. I was aiming to get to the edge of Loch Ness, but this sounds even more fascinating.

      Delete
  4. It's not far from Fort William to Fort Augustus - the southern edge of Loch Ness. You could pick up a quick boat tour there. https://www.flickr.com/photos/robin_croft/18533710415/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin,

      the problem is the length of the day and the need to get to Uig for an early ferry to the Isle of Harries on the following morning. I'd planned in the detour to Fort Augustus, not the one of Glenfinnan. If I add that one, something else has to give to accommodate it and get us to Skye ready for the onward journey the next day.

      Delete